Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and though some people look forward to surprising their loved ones with a special gift or gesture, some decide to treat themselves as a result of self-love. Either way, you choose to spend this love season, NRTC Fresh, the online fresh fruits and vegetable delivery platform is here to show you some out of the box recipes you can put together for yourself or your loved one on Valentine’s Day.
All fresh produce needed can be found in the NRTC Fresh Couples or Singles box either on nrtcfresh.com or the NRTC Fresh App available on the Apple store or Google Play store.
Avocado Corn toast
A quick recipe for a lovely Valentine’s Day breakfast
- ½ avocado mashed
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Pinch salt and pepper
- ¼ cup canned corn
- 2 Tbsp feta cheese
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil thinly sliced
- 3-4 cherry tomatoes halved
- Combine avocado, lemon, salt, and pepper.
- Spread onto toast, followed by corn, feta cheese, basil, and tomatoes. Bon Appetit!
Heart-Shaped Pizza with Bell Peppers and Mushrooms
A heart-shaped pizza with some bell peppers and mushrooms will definitely make the heart melt
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ cup of mushrooms with stems removed and caps cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- All-purpose flour for rolling
- Cornmeal for sprinkling
- ½ cup prepared marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Position rack in lowest spot in oven and place a pizza stone on the rack. Preheat to 450°F.
- Cut red bell peppers into circular slices nicely and remove stem and seeds
- Roll dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to a pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal. Cut a wide V shape at the top of the circle. Round out the tops on either side of the V and pull and pinch the bottom of the circle to a point, so the dough resembles a heart.
- Spread sauce evenly over the dough. Top with cheese. Arrange pairs of the pepper slices and mushrooms on top of the cheese. Transfer to the heated pizza stone. Bake until the crust is crispy and golden, and the cheese is melted, 13 to 14 minutes.
- Your heart shaped pizza is ready to be served
A delicious, easy-to-digest healthy dessert that you will enjoy
- 1 ½ pounds Gala apples (or any other variety of sweet red apple, about 4 medium)
- 1 ½ pounds Granny Smith apples (or Golden Delicious, about 4 medium)
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey, more to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Peel, core and chop the apples into 2″ chunks. In a medium Dutch oven or large stainless-steel saucepan, combine the apple chunks, water, maple syrup and cinnamon. Cover and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender and falling apart, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat. For chunky applesauce, use a potato masher or the back of a sturdy spatula or wooden spoon to break it up to your desired consistency. For smooth applesauce, blend it in your food processor.
- Stir in the vinegar. Adjust to taste as necessary—for sweeter applesauce, stir in more maple syrup (I usually add 2 tablespoons); for more spice, add more cinnamon; for more complexity, add another teaspoon of vinegar.
- Serve warm or chilled; let it cool to room temperature before covering leftover applesauce and storing it in the fridge. Leftover applesauce will keep well in the refrigerator for about 1 week, or for months in the freezer.
Being one of the best fresh fruit and vegetable companies in Dubai, our fresh produce is ethically sourced with no hormone additives or artificial preservatives. Order any of the couples box or singles box online from NRTC Fresh and enjoy Valentine’s Day like no other.